Day Spoiler

[Published on: Dec 29, 2010 @ 20:24, updated Dec. 30, 2010 @ 8:25 to remove drunken typos.  (I don’t drink much so it was probably the drugs still working.]

A day, like many other (but not every other) days.  Serious pain in the abdomen–fails most of the “tests” for cardiac involvement.  Most days it goes away after a period, as quickly as it came.

Many days it seems related to lower GI distress–constipation, usually.

A massive bowel movement yesterday provided no relief.

Decided to lie down for a bit–noted that it was occasionally difficult to draw a deep breath.

The difficulty breathing got worse until every breath was difficult.

Wife told me to call the doctor’s office, but before they called back I decided I wanted to go to the ER.  NOW!

Doctor’s office called as I headed for the door, we chatted bit, they concurred, suggested “their” ER at  42nd and Dewey–I suggested Lakeside was a lot closer.

So off we went, wife and I–the exertion of getting into the car wanted me to breathe more deeply than I could so I did the only thing reasonable–I panicked.

An eternity later we had covered the 6 miles and I had gotten on the gurney in the crash room (or what ever they call it), answered all the questions twice, had a oximeter installed that worked (after several that did not) which showed that my oxygenation  was %96 so the panic was unwarranted.  (Isn’t it always?)  They put me on oxygen anyway–no difference noted.

After an EKG (nothing interesting), a CT Scan (or is it CAT Scan?) (nothing interesting) and an ultrasound examination (Gall bladder convicted), they gave me an IV of LASIX (which I take orally as Furosimide as a diuretic) and something (dunno what but IV) that relieved the pain  and the panic, but made me so stupid that I could not solve the simplest problems.

We (wife and I, with doctor’s concurrence–he remembered us from Pat’s recent visit after the lawn mower thing–seemed proud of his work) decided I was well enough to go home and call the surgeon that has worked on us both recently The doctor’s first choice was to lock me up there for their surgeon in the morning.

So we came back home.  I spent most of the day sleeping.

Pat found that the Surgeon is himself a surgical client and could not see us until Tuesdahy

So we will see how it goes.

In the context of the comparative discussions of health care systems it is important to note that the week or more delay in surgery is the result of my choice–Lakeside would have provided surgical care today, the next day.

Update (after fixing the more outrageous typos (and no doubt installing some new ones)) I feel about normal or at least at the point where I am not sure what is “drug” stupid and what is “ordinary” stupid.

Thanks to everybody that cares.


About Larry

What about me?
This entry was posted in Life as we know it. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s